Great recipe for: Sausage Puffs - Hot and tasty - A kitchen workhorse and the foundation of many party Appetizers, Hors d'oeuvre, and Snacks
Rated 4.7 / 5 based on 11 reviews
Prep Time: 10 min Total Time: 35 min Yield: 8 Serving
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed to package directions
- 2 pound Hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 1 cup shredded fontina (Sharp cheddar or.....)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard (Dijon, Cajun)
- 2 Tablespoons Apricot Preserves
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (or other chile-fresh or dried) (omit if you don't want it HOT)
- In skillet, saute Italian sausage, drain drippings and reserve. In same skillet, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons reserved drippings until onions begin to take on some color.
- In large bowl, combine sausage, onions, garlic, basil, parsley, eggs, cheeses, chile, Apricot preserves, Ginger and Mustard. Stir to combine.
- Roll puff pastry sheets into a 15 x 18 rectangle, spread 1/2 the mixture on pastry sheet. Roll up and pinch ends tightly. Repeat with remaining pastry and sausage mixture. Place on cookie sheet and brush with a mixture of 1 beaten egg and 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes, slice into 1 1/2 inch slices.
© Jim Catanich