Great recipe for: Brennans Clams - Hot and tasty - A kitchen workhorse and the foundation of many party Appetizers, Hors d'oeuvre, and Snacks
Rated 4.7 / 5 based on 11 reviews
Prep Time: 10 min Total Time: 35 min Yield: 8 Serving
- 24 cherrystone clams -- or other sm. clams
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal -- OR
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter -- OR
- 1/2 cup Hot Pepper Butter -- see recipe
- 1/2 lemon -- cut in 2 wedges
- 1 recipe Very Hot Shrimp Cocktail Sauce -- see recipe --optional
- Thoroughly rinse clams, then place in a single layer in a baking pan. Add water to a depth of 3 inches; sprinkle on cornmeal or breadcrumbs. Let soak at least 30 minutes so clams will exchange the sand in their shells for the meal or crumbs. Meanwhile, ignite coals in a barbecue grill. Melt butter in a saucepan; squeeze juice from lemon wedges into the butter & keep warm. To cook clams, place directly on to hot coals, 3 or 4 at a time; cook just until shells pop open. (If coals aren't yet hot enough for cooking your steaks, chops or other main course meat, you can leave the coals mounded to cook the clams.)
- To eat, remove clams from the shells with a fork, dip in melted butter, then Very Hot Shrimp Cocktail Sauce,if desired.
NOTE: Discard any clams that don't open.--- DO NOT EAT THEM!!!
© Jim Catanich