Turkey with Popcorn Stuffing (Kid Approved)
Wylie Chili Cookoff - 1st Place Winner - Turkey Recipes
BAKED STUFFED TURKEY
- 14 - 18 lb. Turkey
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm)
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked popcorn (Orville Redenbacher's Lowfat)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper - seeded and diced fine
- Grandpa's Magic Dust Seasoning (below)
- Salt/pepper to taste
Brush turkey well with melted butter, and sprinkle Grandpa's Magic Dust over both sides of turkey, about 2 ½ tablespoons. Transfer to platter, cover and chill overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix stuffing, popcorn and jalapeño pepper together following package instructions. Salt and pepper cavity and then fill cavity with popcorn stuffing mix. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven. Set the timer for 4 hours and 40 minutes or listen for the popping sound starts.
When the turkey's backside blows the oven door open and the turkey flies across the room, it's done. And Dad, you said I couldn't cook.
GRANDPA'S MAGIC DUST SEASONING
- ¼ cup Spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons Ancho chili powder *
- 2 ½ tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 table spoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Mix ingredients in jar, seal. Can be made 2 months in advance and should be store at room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon Ancho chili powder - very mild - good for kids under 8
- 2 tablespoon Ancho chili powder - mild heat
- 3 tablespoon Ancho chili powder - medium heat - Kid warning maybe to hot.
Source: TexMex Recipes for the Holidays