Clam and Corn Fritters W/ Cilantro Dip
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 8 ounce can chopped clams, drained (or any other shellfish)
- 2/3 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 Jalapeno, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 3/4 cup (about) buttermilk
Vegetable oil (for frying)
For dip: Mix all ingredients in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until flavors blend, at least 1 hour or overnight.
For fritters: Whisk flour, salt, baking soda and cayenne pepper in medium bowl to blend. Mix in drained clams, corn, green onions, jalapeno and egg. Stir in 1/2 cup buttermilk. Mix in enough remaining buttermilk to form stiff batter (do not overmix).
Pour enough vegetable oil into heavy large skillet to reach depth of 1 inch. Heat oil to 350°F over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into oil. Cook until fritters are golden brown, turning once, about 2 1/2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to rack to drain. Serve hot, passing cilantro dip separately.
Makes 12 servings.
Note: An asian style dipping sauce is excellent as well. (Tonkatsu sauce)