Chile Con Queso Y Cerveza
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 cups grated Jarlsberg (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup beer (not dark)
- 1/2 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 bottle pickled jalapeņo chili, minced (wear rubber gloves)
- tortilla chips as an accompaniment.
In a bowl toss the cheeses with the flour and reserve the mixture. In a large heavy saucepan cook the onion in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened, add the beer, the tomatoes, and the jalapeņo, and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Add the reserved cheese mixture by 1/2 cupfuls to the beer mixture, stirring after each addition until the cheeses are melted, serve the dip with the chips.
Makes 4 1/2 cups.